With the crazy heat wave this summer, I find myself really looking forward to the crisp Fall days ahead - and more importantly, the change in wardrobe! New Fall lines are popping up everyone, making me itch in anticipation for all the great looks. Right now I'm obsessed with J.Crew's vision for the season - fresh color-blocking paired with little pops of leopard print (my absolute favorite combo). Here is my favorite look that I will definitely be replicating, along with a little wish list comprised of great fall staples and fun prints to accent those bold brights...
Sunday, July 31, 2011
Friday, July 29, 2011
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
On these hot summer days, sometimes nothing beats the heat better than a refreshing glass of cold, homemade iced tea. It's the perfect make-ahead beverage to have in the fridge if a friend pops by; or, with a little boozy spike, a fresh twist on happy hour. Whatever you choose, stray from the expected and try these inventive takes on an age-old recipe...and cheers to staying cool!
Sunday, July 24, 2011
There's nothing I love more than the 'Eclectic Prep' or 'Neo-Trad' look (for both interiors and personal style) - a chic mix of classic and modern. Bold pops of color and a quirky bit of organized chaos keep things interesting, while hinting at your own unique personal style. I believe that true style exudes a complimentary mix of old and new - and this look, accented with a variety of graphic prints and a few over-the-top pieces, gives your room (or outfit) a lot of character and panache. New England-based designer, Liz Caan, perfects this combo with her cheeky, yet refined interiors. Here are a few spaces that I am absolutely dying over...(I need her living room!!)...
Liz Caan's Living Room via Liz Caan Interiors
Liz Caan's Foyer via decorista
Interior by David Jimenez via Decorpad
Design by Jonathan Adler
Kate Spade Pop-Up-Shop, London
Friday, July 22, 2011
Happy Friday lovely ladies! It's supposed to be a hot one, so I'll be devoting my weekend to lounging poolside with cool drinks and good friends...stay tuned for some new posts next week! Nothing gets me more in the mood for some summer fun than a few vintage Slim Aarons shots...enjoy!
Photo by Slim Aarons [Marbella, Spain 1971]
Photo by Slim Aarons [Lake Forest, IL 1960]
Photo by Slim Aarons [Palm Desert, CA]
And I will definitely be beating the heat by sipping on this minty concoction!
Any fun plans for the weekend? xx
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
The hor d'oeuvre is probably my favorite course to design and prepare (as well as eat!). There are endless ways to be creative with these one-bite sensations in terms of color, presentation, flavor profiles and plating. Even the simplest hors d'oeuvres can really vamp up your cocktail hour or even a laid-back get-together. The key is to use quality ingredients and to keep things simple. One of the most important aspects of a good hors d'oeuvre is that it be easy to eat with a cocktail in hand - in other words, make sure it is no larger than one bite or so. Here is a delicious recipe that incorporates quality ingredients with a hint of sophistication, while still presenting them in a rustic, approachable fashion - Pancetta Crisps with Goat Cheese + Pear. The salty pancetta paired with the subtly sweet pear and silky goat cheese is the perfect compliment to your next summer soiree! Enjoy!
[via Bon Appetit]
Friday, July 15, 2011
Happy Friday! Wishing everyone a fabulous weekend full of relaxation and fun. Would love to just stay in and watch old movies with some good wine, lounging in this little number...what do you think? xx
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
There's nothing better than having your own space...unless of course you have to fill it on a not-so-chic young professional's budget. I came across these fun images for a little inspiration - sometimes all it takes are a few unique (and bold!) finds to make a space feel styled and full.
How do you save without sacrificing style??
Annsley Interiors via Decorpad
Good Taste Money-Saving Tips:
- Buy staple pieces like arm chairs and couches in basic colors from inexpensive retailers like IKEA and accent with bold patterned pillows to create an interesting, finished look.
- Try buying inexpensive lamp bases and doctoring them up a bit with fun, bold shades.
- A bold rug (think black + white chevron or a fun geometric print) can unify a room and/or serve as an interesting focal point.
- Make your own modern art. Buy a canvas at your local crafts store and look at modern pieces for inspiration (you don't have to be an artist to do a little colorblocking!). The bright color will fill white walls so you can avoid expensive paint and alot of effort.
- Search local flea markets or Etsy.com for unique furniture pieces. Chests, headboards, mirrors and coffee tables can all add up, but sometimes a little imagination and a coat or two of paint are just the thing to give a less-than-impressive find new life. Half the time, these pieces are so unique they end up being statement pieces that stand out more than your more expensive purchases.
- Use staples that you already have in a unique, personalized way. Style books on shelves with cool frames or color coordinate them to create a visual statement.
How do you save without sacrificing style??
Friday, July 8, 2011
Umberto Angeloni once said that "the most challenging part of dressing well is knowing how to be elegant while being casual." Add some subtle shine to your next weekend outfit with simple touches of gold. Whether it be hardware on a belt or bag, or a chunky gold watch and bangles, a little gilded accent goes a long way in terms of making a casual look appear pretty and polished.
gold Hermes hardware via Pinterest [Emily Schuman of Cupcakes + Cashmere]
gold watch via habitually chic
gold buttons via jak + jil blog
gold hardware via havelessbemore
mixed bracelets via decorista
gold watch via awelltraveledwoman
gold watch and bangles via best of Pinterest
Sunday, July 3, 2011
Happy Fourth! There are few things better than a laid-back, early summer barbeque to kick off the summer (and the 4th!). Wake up that typical cookout menu with a few twists on traditional favorites. Mini burgers with brie and fun, boozy popsicles are the perfect way to keep the menu casual and fun while updating flavor profiles. As always, I have provided make-ahead tips for menu items that can be prepped ahead in order to lighten the load on your day-of entertaining checklist. With just a few little additions [and fun touches], your menu will be the highlight of the holiday weekend...
|Collage by In Good Taste [Laura Boyd]|
|Menu designed by In Good Taste [Laura Boyd]*|
· Make popsicles a few days before the party and store in freezer until just before serving.
· Form mini burgers into small patties the day before and store in the fridge.
· Cut cold brie into small squares and store in fridge as well.
· Make the red onion marmalade the day before and return to room temp before serving.
· Fry the crispy onions the day before and store in air tight plastic bags.
· Cube watermelon and tomatoes the night before and store in fridge in air tight containers.
· Make pound cake a few days ahead and freeze if necessary. Defrost the day before.
· Cut berries the night before and store in air tight containers in fridge.
*All recipes and photo credits are listed within the 'Bites' tab. Enjoy! xx
Friday, July 1, 2011
I love me a little leopard print, so of course I was dying when I came across this amazing bronzer compact from Dolce & Gabbana (available at saks.com). The limited edition bronzer, showcasing their signature animal print, is the perfect addition to spice up your make-up bag with its saucy interior. Sweep a healthy glow onto those early summer cheeks and say hello to summertime purrfection.