Monday, May 9, 2011

mix the glitz.

Most who know me are aware of how much I love over-the-top, borderline gaudy jewelry [the bigger the better].  And just when you think that one piece is a bit much, I will most likely pile it on top of another equally audacious choice.  Hence, my firm belief in taking risks and adding just enough to make a unique statement that exudes a confident sense of personal style while also adding a bit of whimsy to your wardrobe.  I tend to buy more accessories and jewelry than clothes - and not just because I have an unhealthy obsession; moreso, because I believe you can instantly update and glamourize any outfit [be it a simple black cocktail dress or even a basic Gap tee] with a fabulous piece of costume jewelry...here are a few examples of what I mean:

Add a little glam to that nautical tee with some outrageously mixed jewels.
Image via The Glitter Guide

Don't be afraid to keep stacking!
Mix textures, stones and metals for an elegantly
disheveled and effortless look.
Image via The Glitter Guide
J.Crew really popularized this look and made it approachable, so I always keep an eye out for their newest creations. They have amazing pieces that are affordable and classic, but vintage-inspired and always a bit dramatic.  Here are some great pieces that are perfect for laying, but also statement pieces on their own...






All images courtesy of J.Crew.com

I just purchased this piece which is perfect for layering since it lays flat. Try laying other flat, jeweled pieces on top or even short, chunkier layers of pearls for a bold, "piled on" statement.  This necklace is great because the little rhinestone-encrusted bars will peak out of just about anything you choose for a little glimpse of sparkle!

The newest addition to my collection from J.Crew

I came across this gold bamboo and rhinestone necklace from Kate Spade that I think would be so classic intertwined with an equal-lengthed set of pearls [just twist the two around each other and clasp for a traditional look with a unique edge].  That would seriously be a go-to everyday necklace for me...love.



3 comments:

  1. I love this look even though I admittedly don't apply it to myself. I admire it on others though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes less is more, but in this case, more is..well...more! Love it! Beautiful jewels :)
    xoxo
    -linh
    http://la-lalinh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way! I LOVE statement pieces!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...