Thursday, December 2, 2010

freshen up that holiday color scheme

I've always been a firm believer that you can find inspiration in almost anything.  Take a trip to an art museum, a quirky little antique shop, or simply browse through a colorful coffee table book.  Whatever you choose, document things that jump out at you - I like to keep an inspiration book where I paste all my design, fashion, food and color tidbits that I happen to come across so that I can refer back to them for other uses later.  Last year I threw a holiday party inspired by a linen that I was using at an event - a fabulously whimsical magenta and red damask - so fun!  Although that was last year, I still think this bold color scheme gives the holidays a fresh face.  Try using vibrant red Amaryllis mixed with hot pink accent flowers (roses, tulips, etc.). I love using pink poinsettia instead of (or mixed with) the traditional red for a pop of color. Here is the swatch I was inspired by, followed by an "Inspiration Board" I created to visualize this holiday look:


 
Photos courtesy of: Amaryllis: Voila Fete. Room with red curtain: Country Living. Candy: Gifted.
Pink ornament tier: Country Living. Poinsettia centerpiece: Southern Living. Room with tree: Country Living.
Invitations: Jean M. Magenta ornaments: Better Homes & Gardens. Candy Canes: Phyllis Asher. 
Champagne: Delicious Magazine. Roses: Jean M.

For those looking for a little less color and a little more sophistication, I absolutely LOVE mercury glass and am constantly looking for ways to use it.  While browsing for more pieces to add to my collection, I came across this great urn from Wisteria.  Styled with the fresh evergreen, I was immediately inspired to look into a green and white scheme, accented with glistening mercury glass accessories.  This is a great option for those who tend to have cooler tones in their homes or those who prefer an updated traditional feel. For this look, I would recommend using fresh evergreen, magnolia or boxwood and accenting with white Hydrangea, white Amaryllis or Paper Whites. For a use of green with an unexpected texture, I adore the moss wreath below...



 
Photos courtesy of: Mantle: Better Homes & Gardens. Tabletop: Pottery Barn. Banister garland: William Waldron. Wreath with mercury glass: Martha Stewart. Doorway: Martha Stewart. Mercury glass ornaments: Pottery Barn. Chair with snowflake detail: Country Living. Champagne glasses: Country Living. Lit Boxwood arrangement: Kaboodle. 

1 comment:

  1. I love fuschia for the holidays! One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...